A Groin Ceiling is simply spectacular. The intersecting curves catch light and shadow in unexpected ways and the eyes are drawn to the fascinating interaction. At Fast Arch of America, we've harnessed the science behind the art and made it easy to build.
A groin is simply the interestion of two or more domes. There is a rib, called a groin, at this intersection. Finding the right intersection and the angles of the curves can drive a geometry professor to tears. But with Fast Arch of America's Groin System, you can install a fabulous Groin Ceiling in just a couple of hours. We take all the work out of it, but still let you take credit.
A groin ceiling kit from Fast Arch of America is much smaller than you might imagine. We supply the "C" members, these are the arches that create the groins and the Wall Arches that are the guides on the outside walls.
In the illustration, the groin ceiling is a combination of four barrels that intersect diagonally. We can use groins to combine domes and barrels in any combination you can dream up. In fact, we may have already done it! Take a look at the gallery for Specialty and Cathedral Ceilings to see some of the spectacular effects we've created and to get some inspiration.
How to Measure and Order your Groin Ceiling
Installing a Groin Ceiling
Installing a Fast Arch Groin Ceiling is quick and easy:
- Start by marking the drop height on the side walls.
- Install one of the "C" tracks - the actual groin member.
- Install the opposite side "C" track.
- Install the perpendicular "C" tracks.
- Install the wall guides.
- Using either wood or metal studs that you supply locally, install the cross members.
- ALWAYS WORK FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP
- For even easier installation on wood framing, Fast Arch has designed a double-faced magnetic hammer. A 3/4" roofing nail can be driven through the arch nailing flange and into the wood with a single stroke. This tool allows even very large arches to be installed by a single person and speeds installation time. For more information on this tool and its availability, please call us.