Recessed Ceiling Dome
Page 3 of 3
Installing our Recessed Ceiling Domes
Installing a Fast Arch Recessed Ceiling Dome is quick and easy:
- Start with the circular framing. Each arch comes with detailed instruction on the number of support studs and the spacing for them. We also have a solution for creating the circular framing using a Radius Track header and footer.
- After your studs at installed, start by accurately measuring and marking the drop on each of the studs. We can supply a metal "cylinder" that will make this process quicker.
- Now install the first arch. (See the instruction for installing a Zip Arch). Be sure to press it into place and align it with the drop line. Lock it into place with two nails or screws going into the stud.
- Go to the opposite side of the dome and install the second arch in the same manner.
- The next step is to install a pair of arches that are perpendicular to the first pair.
- Now that you have the center of the arch defined, install the "Oculus." The oculus is the ring that joins all the arches in the center top of the dome. It's open so you can easily install lighting at the top of the dome (NOTE: electrical boxes and fixtures should be secured to a joist, not the arch. The arch is not designed to accomodate the weight of chandeliers or other fixtures.)
- Finish the dome by adding the remaining arches in order around the circumference.
- ALWAYS WORK FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP WHEN INSTALLING THE INDIVIDUAL ARCHS
- Electrical boxes and fixtures must be secured to a ceiling joist - not the arch.
- For easier layout of the circular studs, we have designed a radius track that can be used with wood or metal studs. The track will ensure your curves are exactly aligned and install in minutes.
- For even easier installation on wood framing, Fast Arch has designed a double-faced magnetic hammer. A 3/4" roofing nail can be driven through the arch nailing flange and into the wood with a single stroke. This tool allows even very large arches to be installed by a single person and speeds installation time. For more information on this tool and its availability, please call us.